Saturday, December 4, 2010

Lloyd Rasmussen

As I sat down to write a few thoughts about my Grandpa I started crying, yet again. My 7-year old came up, put her arms around me and said, "It's OK mom, he's in heaven now!" And she is right of course, but it still hurts.

My grandpa, Lloyd Rasmussen passed away yesterday surrounded by all of his children and his wife. 

I feel so blessed today to have been the eldest grandchild of this amazing man. His life was full of more service, generosity, and happiness that just about anyone I can think of. He always had a big hug for me and wanted to know all of the details of my life.

He had such family pride!! I remember the day I told him I was pregnant with Jolie, his first great-grandchild. He was more thrilled than my parents! He was so proud of each and every one of us and all of our accomplishments. It felt so good.

It is a bitter-sweet time of year to lose him. Christmas reminds me of going to his house for Christmas Eve every year. I think I loved this night almost as much as Christmas morning! It is by far my favorite cozy Christmas memory of him, sitting in his favorite blue chair in the living room, reading the Christmas story while all of his antsy grandchildren sat around him waiting to open their gifts! And then on Christmas morning he and Grandma would drive to all of our houses to see what Santa brought. We couldn't wait to show him.

He was a wonderful bishop, stake president, mission president, temple sealer, and member of the first Newport Beach temple presidency. But he was my Grandpa first and I know he was proud of that above all else. I will miss his quiet, body-shaking laugh the most.

Love you Grandpa! I look forward to seeing you again someday.

7 comments:

Gentry Fam said...

Beautifully written Katie.

Pops said...

Wonderful expression of love, remembrance, and appreciation for a great man. Thinking of you, Katie.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandpa! Love and hugs to all of you!

Chrissy said...

I couldn't have said it better...so I won't...I'll just link to you!

Kristin said...

Thanks for sharing and bringing me to tears again. A wonderful man and I am so grateful to have known him and felt his love for his family and the gospel. Sending lots of love and hugs to the family.

Brooke said...

Think of you and all of the Rasmussens today. Love you Katie.

Rupper Family said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Katie!