You know in those movies where people go on long journeys and when they rest they stop and lay on the ground or under trees? I have often thought how insanely tired those people must be to be able to plop down and fall asleep in the elements and actually get some rest. I have never been one to sleep in odd places. On a red eye to New York or to the Caribbean I was never able to get one minute of sleep. I can't sleep on road trips in the car either. It is a curse.
Things have changed for me in the last few months. I have actually experienced what true EXHAUSTION is. For months Reese hasn't been sleeping. For the last several weeks he has been waking us up every hour-sometimes more. You know this is my 3rd baby. I have been through sleeplessness before. But it has never been like this. I found myself asleep on the stairs one night. I even slept a few hours once on Reese's bedroom floor with nothing but my nursing pillow for comfort. I find that my sleepiness is so complete I now know exactly how those travelers must feel as they sleep anywhere.
I called my mom last week in tears. I just was done. I thought I could not function one more day under these circumstances. She very kindly offered to take the girls for the weekend. Landon was also gone to Utah to visit friends so this was my chance. I sleep trained that boy! I didn't want to do it but I let him cry it out. There was no one around to hear him so I just did it. It was a lot easier that I expected. He never cried for more that 20 minutes. 3 nights of sporadic crying. It is amazing what your willing to deal with when you are dead tired.
And it worked. He sleeps. All. night. long. And I am in heaven.
P.S. I also cried it out with Jolie. It also only took 3 nights. I am a believer.
P.P.S. Yes, Reese sleeps with his blankie over his face. He wakes up if I sneak in and take it off.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Dead Tired
Posted by
Katie
at
12:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Good job, Katie! Yeah for sleeping again!
yea!!!!! way to go.
Congrats on the sleep training! And hurray for a full nights sleep.
Relating to your story made me almost cry. Sleep deprivation is horrible. Thats great that letting him cry it out worked. It seems that technique is neccesary and effective in drastic times.
I'm a believer too. Sleep is good! And I'm glad you're getting lots of it now! And I'm happy Reese is getting the rest he needs. It's all around good news!!
I wanted to take a picture of both of them, and that was the pose they chose. Thanks for lending your husband for the weekend. Nathan had a blast!
Post a Comment