Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Jonah Day

{If you know what book/movie the title of this post is from, we are true "kindred spirits"}

I'm feeling down in the dumps this week. I'm not sure what it is. I suspect the fact that its February, my least favorite month, might have something to do with it. It might have something to do with the monotonous days this time of the year provides. I feel like all I want to do is eat and shop, and lets be honest, the result of either of those 2 activities is never very pretty. (Read: fatter and poorer)  The motivation I had a few years ago, to lose that little extra weight, is alluding me. I am trying so hard to find that place that got me going, but all I see is cheesecake and In-N-Out burgers and I cave.

Landon commented that I was grinding my teeth in my sleep last night. That usually happens when I am stressed. It got me thinking of why I might be stressed. And as usual it is probably due to my worrying over the children. Worrying and motherhood seem to go perfectly hand in hand.

Will Jolie always pick such a rag-tag group of friends? What sort of influence will these strange little souls have on her good nature and desire to be good and obey?

Will Lucy catch up to the other 1st graders with her reading? She is struggling so and I am desperate to not have her held back next year.

Will Reese ever fully talk? Should I get him help for it? How? Why won't he potty train? Or play with other little boys? Is he always going to be an introvert?

When they place that new baby in your arms you really never imagine the heart ache and worry that you are going to be experiencing. All you can picture is a beautiful, rosy life stretched out before your perfect little bundle. Oh and how you want to protect them from all of life's pains and disappointments! It takes all of my effort to not pack them up and move them to some secluded little haven in the middle of nowhere where they would be safe. (OK, that probably wouldn't work either!) I guess all I can do is love them, support them, and offer them a soft place to fall when they hurt. 

Now I am going to go work out, get some endorphins running through me and hope it lifts my spirits. What do you do when you have a Jonah day?

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I can relate to this post in so many ways. Sometimes I feel like it has been a Jonah month or even year. I think Mom's are always worrying about their kids and tight pocket books always tend to hit home a little closer for the Moms who pay the bills and by the groceries. Sometimes I wonder if we will ever own our own home, or if Kaitlyn will ever catch up with her reading comprehension or how we are going to buy groceries this week.
I think it is a "mom thing" that most of us are afraid or ashamed to let anyone else know about it. Even though it should be the exact opposite because we all can relate and help each other through these things. Anyways.... Not to be a downer. I am just saying don't be too hard on yourself. We all are going through something whether people wear it on their sleeve or keep it hidden.
I love you and you inspire me in so many ways!

Starnes fam said...

I think being active/working out and doing what you are doing even when you REALLY don't want to really helps. I hate January and February...wish we could just fast forward to spring right after Christmas. ☺
And secretly....if I was you...I'd be heading to the beach to enjoy some California sunshine. You are LUCKY to live so close to the ocean. Hang in there.

Danielle said...

I don't have any good advice but I just love this post. Its so good and true and touching. I guess I try to remember that the fact that we worry so, means that our kids will be just fine. I mean really. But I love what you said about being handed a baby and not having any idea about the worry that will follow. Its so so true!

Also, I love Anne of Green Gables, and I totally remember you reading those books in your room in college! I can't wait till Avery is old enough to read them.