Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Little Boys

So I guess it is time that I report our reaction to learning of our little boy on his way. I guess I have to admit that at my 12 week appointment the ultrasound tech did tell me she thought it looked much like a boy. She told me I wasn't to announce anything because she could be wrong but basically from that day on I have been just SURE it was a boy. Landon on the other hand wasn't at that appointment and just didn't believe it. He was convinced it was going to be a girl. So I was right- for once. And he was quite surprised to learn that!

I really am very thrilled to be having a baby boy. I just haven't really gotten used to the idea yet. It is certainly going to change the dynamic around here! Jolie was very excited to hear it was a boy. Her first thoughts were, "But mom, we don't have any boy toys. Does this mean we can get some boy toys?" Needless to say she is very happy to be getting new toys around here. She is really into superheroes right now.

I definitely feel a tad nervous at having to raise a boy. I really just pictured myself as a mother of girls. They are easy, they like the same things I do: shopping, clothes, cooking, pretty things. Boys can be so rough and tumble. And from my experience they seem much messier! Not to mention constant hair cuts, and how in the world do you potty train a boy? And what about kindergarten? With an August birthday do I hold him back another year?

But our biggest hurdle over this boy thing has been - brace yourselves - to circumsize our son or not? (Warning: if you are offended by body part talk, don't read further.) Landon thinks NO WAY! He thinks it is brutal, archaic, and totally unnecessary. I am completely the opposite on this issue. I think a boy should be like his father. And from all I have read it is MUCH easier to take care of a circumsized boy's privates once they turn around 4 or 5. I did all sorts of reading on the subject. And it turns out that the only health benefit is that you have a slightly smaller chance of urinary tract infections. But I still hold firm, and Landon has finally given in to me. And it's a good thing too because whether he liked it or not I was going to do it anyway!

So that is my rambling on about my thoughts these days. Since this is looking like it will probably be my last baby, I feel truly blessed to have the opportunity to be a mother to both my daughters and now a son. I always wanted to do both. I am looking forward to doing a blue nursery this time around.

10 comments:

Danielle said...

Well I have to tell you that one of the biggest reasons I was excited to have a girl is because I got to skip the whole circumcision debate. I am not sure exactly how I feel about it. I haven't really done any research on it. Anyway, I think it will be so fun for you to have a boy, and I wouldn't worry too much about him being messier or more rough and tumble. I've heard when boys have big sisters, they tend to be a little more mellow, plus boys scream less during puberty. And a blue nursery is fun! By the way...how are you feeling lately?

Amanda said...

Oh you are going to have so much fun with your boy. I was scared to have a little boy because all the boys I ever saw were SO rough and rowdy and LOUD. But I have to tell you, when my boy gets that way, we have so much fun with him. He's a hoot!

And he's actually a pretty tidy little eater and, at 15 mos, has already learned how to throw things away. We did not teach him that - he figured it out on his own.

Your heart is just going to melt - trust me. He's going to have you wrapped up before you even realize it!

Anonymous said...

Your girls are beautiful!
I have 3 kids - 2 boys and a girl. The boys are much, much easier! And they are a lot of fun, too!

I hope you'll reconsider the circumcision idea. I circumcised my first son (well, *I* didn't, the doctor did) and he almost bled to death! He's fine now, but after a brief stay in NICU we had to spend almost a month taking special care of his privates, with ointments, gauzes, doctor visits to make sure it was not infected, the baby would scream every time he peed or pooped! Every diaper change for a month was horrible. Now he has a horrible scar.
Our third baby, my second son, we didn't circumcise him. His privates were not any trouble at all as an infant or as an older boy. It's kind of like with a little girl, you just don't mess with it and it takes care of itself, minus a few wipes after a poopy diaper, KWIM?
As far as my two boys looking different, they've never noticed. They've never noticed they don't look like daddy either. I mean, they wouldn't since daddy is bigger, hairier, and he doesn't normally walk around naked in front of them. LOL!

Hope you're not offended but here's some good links on circumcision. Although it sounds like you're mind's made up, it doesn't hurt to check out the other side, right?

http://www.homiegfunk.com/RIC2.htm

http://www.circumstitions.com/Itsaboy.html

http://intact.ca/vidintro.htm

http://wreckingboy.livejournal.com/318545.html?page=6#comments

Anyway, good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy your baby boy!

Angella said...

Oh boy, this is such a taboo subject around our neck of the woods! People (well, the "locals") around here are very vocal about the fact that you should NOT circumsize your boys. Before we had Miles, we did some research on the issue, and put careful thought into both sides. We basically came to the same conclusion that you have: that it's healthy for boys to be like their dad. In addition to this, we also decided that we would circumsize our boys because we were concerned about the possibility of them having problems later on in life that might lead to a circumsion anyways, which in my opinion, would be far worse as an adult than an infant. Dillon also reminded me of the "locker room" issues as an uncircumsized boy, which opened my eyes in a different way. I know we should not always sway to what society says, but I wasn't about to have my boys ridiculed for having a different penis than the other boys. I do have to warn you, though, to buckle up when you send him off to have this done (if you do decide to do it). I litereally cried and cried as they wheeled him down the hall, and in my mind, I thought I was the most horrible mom on the planet. Luckily, I have an amazing doctor who reminded me that they numb the area before performing the procedure. To my surprise, it did not take them near as long as I thought it would. I was also convinced that he would come back screaming, but he was sleeping peacefully in his little bed. Overall, we were glad we made the decision to circumsize.

p.s. You are seriously going to melt when you meet your little boy. Boys are seriously so sweet and adorable (not that girls aren't- especially yours). But they really are so much fun!

Rupper Family said...

My boy is the sweetest huggiest little guy, he is much easier to parent than my Anna-100 times easier, even with all the messes!
I'm glad to hear that you guys are debating the circumcision too, it's a hard call. You don't want the kid being nicknamed "turtleneck" once he hits high school, but then I've heard that alot of people have had horrible experiences with doctors not cutting off enough, or cutting off too much...good to research it I guess, and make sure you trust your doctor!
-Wendy

S. Gibson said...

I love having little boys! They are definitely rough and tumble and have endless amounts of energy, but they LOVE their mom. It's priceless.

Starnes fam said...

As a bona fide expert of little boys, I can assure you that it will be so much fun! I certainly wouldn't mind the bows and such but the cars, balls, and action figures are a blast!

By the way, Nate was an August birthday and he was so glad he was held back a year. We had to deal with that with Dal because intellectually he was sooo ready but emotionally he needed that extra year. When it gets closer I think the decision is a lot easier.

Congrats again on the little boy! We are excited for you.

Meredith said...

when elizabeth found out her first was going to be a boy, we were a little bewildered too because my family is definitely female dominated and our one brother is the epitome of mello. her boy is definitely high octane but is SO MUCH FUN. plus, his loyalty and adoration of his mother (and favorite aunt meredith) makes everything worth it. besides, boys cost less without all the clothing dreaming and make up. you'll have a blast.

Charlotte Erickson said...

Awsome news Katie. I for sure agree with you on the choice to circumsize. I also feel like I will only be a mother of girls, but we'll see. I bet your family is so excited. Congrats!

josieposie said...

Snip Snip! I have two boys, trimmed 'em both right up!