I am pretty much incapable of playing make believe with my children. I feel really bad about this considering Lucy lives most of her life as some pretend person or animal. She is always scripting for me and telling me, "mom you say (x)." or "Pretend you said (y)." I try my hardest to get into the game, but I am just no longer able to do that! The make believe world is lost to me now. I know, how very sad.
One of the things my girls and I love to do together is watch and dance to musicals. We love Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, Newsies, Bye Bye Birdie. We recently borrowed Hairspray from my sister Camille. I had never seen it before and of course we loved it. We sang we danced we LOVED the music. Fun times that I hope my kids remember when they grow up, that their mom played with them.
Later I heard the girls playing Hairspray together. They were fighting over who got to be Tracy and who got to be in love with Link. Jolie said, "I am going to be Tracy, she is the most beautiful!" I was kind of surprised by this remark. It never occurred to me that my girls would see Tracy as the most beautiful. And I am pretty sure it isn't because she gets Link in the end. I really think it's because they have no preconceived notions about what is considered beautiful. It hasn't come to their attention yet that most people think that thin women are the pretty ones. As far as they are concerned, their dad is the most handsome man in the world and if he is married to me I must be the most beautiful. And lets face it, I am not a lean girl. Also I think in their world, the kind, sweet person is also the most physically attractive. The heroine is the one that everyone wants to be, and looks aren't even considered. Wouldn't that be great if all the guys wanted the nice girls? Things would be really different that is for sure.
I plan to draw this out for as long as possible. My children will not learn from me that generally the pretty, skinny girl wins the man. I hope they hold on to what they believe for as long as they can.
And I hope they think Landon and I are the bees knees forever.
Friday, May 29, 2009
Bigger IS Better
Posted by
Katie
at
9:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love this post! What sweet girls you have.
I love how children are able to see straight through what the world views as beautiful. I'm so grateful they come here with such truth in their veins. I hope they are able to hold onto that for a long time, especially with how crazy this world is! p.s. I honestly think Tracy is the most beautiful on Hairspray, too!
Beauty may catch a man's eye, but it's all of the other qualities he finds in her that keeps him there. You are so beautiful, and the list of all of your other wonderful qualities wouldn't fit in this box. There are many, and that's why you are married to such a handsome man. Biased? Maybe. Right? Absolutely!!!
I think it is so adorable how much your girls look up to you, when they are at my house they have said numerous times how wonderful and beautiful you are!
Post a Comment