I had an interesting conversation with a nice about 19 year-old ethnic (I couldn't tell which one!) girl working at the EZ-Lube the other day. It went something like this:
(My girls crawling all over the waiting room, getting into everything, being cute little monkeys.)
Girl: Are these your only kids.
Me: Yes, for now.
Girl: You mean you want more!?
Me: Yes.
Girl: Why?
Me: Because I love being a mom. It is wonderful.
Girl: Do you work?
Me: No.
Girl: Your boyfriend lets you stay home?
(My ring was on.)
Me: Yes, my husband lets me stay home.
Girl: Your married?
Me: Yes.
Girl: How long have you been married?
Me: 5 and a half years.
(long pause)
Girl: Well, how is that going?
Me: Just great!
Should I have been offended? Worried? I don't know. I am just glad we were the only ones in the room.
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Oil Change Confessional
Posted by
Katie
at
4:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Poor little thing. It makes you wonder what kind of home life she had growing up. So sad. Good for you for being so positive with her. I'm just really sad she was so surprised about your answers.
hahaha
that's pretty funny!
Whaaaat? What a strange conversation. I guess you 2 were living on completely different planets!
oh that is such a paradigm shift huh to look at things from that girl's perspective. I mean what would it be like to live life where the norm is to not want to get married and not want to have kids. (sorry if I offend anyone who doesn't want to have kids or get married), where kids were just the unfortunate byproduct of carelessness with your boyfriend who wouldn't "let" you stay home. That is too bad. But I am glad for her that you were able to show her differently.
Ha!! Thats funny! I bet you and Landon had a good laugh over that.
Funny thing is I am sure you both left the conversation feeling sorry for the other person too.
This is hilarious! Yeah, it's so weird what different worlds we all live in and consider "normal" or "reality." I'm just glad she didn't make some rude comment about over-populating the earth. That's what all our liberal friends in OR think we are doing--and they let us know. :)
Post a Comment