Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Jolie the New "Ratchet-Jaw"

When Landon was a kid his Grandpa named him "ratchet-jaw." He could talk and mile a minute and just wouldn't stop!

Yesterday at the pediatrician's waiting room Jolie cornered a woman and her 18 month old son. I overheard this very one-sided conversation.

Jolie: Hi, I am Jolie, this is my sister Lucy. She is a big baby. Not a little baby anymore. That's my mom over there, her name is Katie. Is your baby a little baby or a big baby?

Woman: I guess a big baby.

Jolie: Yeah, cause he walks, huh? What is his name?

Woman: Dillon.

Jolie: That's my Uncle's name he lives in New York. He lives with Aunt Angela and he has a baby too. He is a big baby. His name is Miles. Do you live in California?

Woman: Yes.

Jolie: Me too. Nana and Pops live in Colorado. It snows there. I haven't seen the snow before. It is very cold there. (slight pause) Why is your baby crying? Is he sick? My sister Lucy is sick, she has a bad cough. I am not sick, I am just here with Lucy. My mom brought us here. I love to come here. The fish tank is my favorite.

and on and on and on.

The poor woman was clearly trying to get away from Jolie. Her son was very upset. I was basically dying laughing inside.

Jolie does this same trick every time we go to the park as well. She always latches on to some poor adult and talks their ears off. So funny.

In fact, Jolie is sitting right next to me as we speak talking about who knows what. She barely even pauses for a breath. You know, I realized that the things I love most about that girl are the things that she gets from her father. I guess it just goes to show I love him a lot.

So far it has been an insane week. Lucy has an ear infection in both ears, not to mention a really nasty cough she has had for almost a month! Today Jolie had her first ever cavity filled at the dentist and was such a trooper. I was a wreck and was tearful up until she received her shot. She didn't even flinch at it. That child always amazes me. And as soon as she got home she told me that she wants to go again sometime! Hopefully the rest of the week will be less eventful.

6 comments:

Angella said...

Holy cow. I'm totally cracking up. That Jolie is such a funny little girl. Speaking of funny, we saw Landon's short appearance on that TNT show... hilarious! Lucy, we hope you get better soon.

Chrissy said...

Jolie is a crack up. I love that!

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie, I'm sorry you've had sick kiddos -- no fun! Jolie is hilarious. Wish I could know your girls in real life.

Danielle said...

My husband used to be like that when he was little. His mom tells me all about it. It's pretty funny, they used have to have "time out from talking", but then he would just talk to he lady behind them in line at the store etc. I love their little personalities!

Starnes fam said...

Hang in there with the sick kids. There really is nothing worse! Your story reminded me of my little sister. When she was about 6 we would go snow skiing and if she ever had to ride up as a single rider we could always hear her blabbing on and on to the person who was stuck next to her. It was hilarious!

Danielle said...

oh shoot...Happy late Birthday! I hope it was fabulous!