There isn't much going on around here. The weather has been amazing as you can tell by the picture. That is the Hermosa Beach pier. We went for a walk on "the strand" last week with our good friends Teresa, Jackson, and Grant. I am loving the weather. It is making me feel so much better to get some fresh air. I even feel like I have a bit more of my energy back. Maybe I will be able to start some cleaning again. We have hired cleaners to come in once a month the last couple of months. All I know is my house has never been this clean! I am in love with it. Sadly it is not something I am willing to pay $100 a month for. But it was nice while it lasted.
I have been also thinking a lot about baby names lately. I am eager to find out what this little one is- a boy or a girl. Our girl name will be Alice. Either Alice Jean or Alice Katherine. Since I was first married our boy name has been Grant Michael. Grant after my grandfather and Michael after Landon's dad. I am still loving the name, but it is now a bit more popular than I would like. And I haven't found any other boy names I am in love with that aren't also incredibly popular. My other faves are: Jack, Sean, Evan and James. Still, Grant is the one I like best.
The thing I have learned about naming girls is you can be a little more creative. The name still has to grow with them but as long as the name is pretty, it matures well. With a boy I feel like it just has to be very masculine. It has to be a name that can be taken very seriously. Cutsie names just don't sound very impressive for an adult. You know what I mean?
How did you come up with your children's names? Did you and your spouse agree easily? Not us! It is such a major decision it can be more than a little overwhelming.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Nothing Much
Posted by
Katie
at
5:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
My firstborn will be named "Microwave" after one of my converts.
i love all of those names, katie. i've always liked the name grant, but we definitely won't steal it from you. we are definitely in debate mode about the middle name. but we definitely have a first name picked out, which we aren't revealing until the baby is actually born. i need some element of surprise for everyone, since we already know when baby #2 will arrive. :)
Personally I like grant:)
Boy names are hard. I like Tula for a girl, but no one else does! And Luke for sure has vetoed it. :(
I think Grant is really cute too, I also think that Mackey sp? your Grandpa's middle name would be cute. You could call him Mac for short. Glad you are feeling better!
I make sure that whatever the name, it has to have solid meaning. I think a names sake provides purpose and foundation for a kid. I agree that the boy names need to be strong and masculine. That's why I am a fan of James (can be cute "Jimmie" when he's young) and Maxwell (I love "Max).
Another good name is Tanner (N. Eldon Tanner was an awesome leader in the church). I think Grant is a good, solid name...how does Landon feel about it?
UGH! I wish we could think of a name. People keep asking us if we have one and we don't. Well that is not entirely true. We have a few names were kicking around, but not one seems to be "it". I feel like I have to see her first before I can decide if it's really her name? I guess you've been through this twice so you know better what to expect. When do you find out the gender?
Great names, Katie. Alice is so cute for a girl. We generally have a pretty easy time of picking names (I just have to spring my strange, old fashioned names on Nate way in advance so they have plenty of time to grow on him :)
For us, if it's a girl, we love Eleanor, Margret (call her Maggie), and Lilian.
And if it's a boy, we're just magnetically drawn to the ol' House of Windsor stand-bys: George, John, Charles, etc.
p.s. ever since your comment, I've been totally rationing my turkey intake (can't give it up altogether, so I allow myself one turkey sandwich a week (with just two slices of turkey.)) Today was the day...and it was divine! Thanks for the heads up. Hope you're feeling well.
I love all of those names! Funny story....Nate and I COULD NOT come agree on a name for our 3rd boy. We disagreed for months and then one day (Landon) your hubby sent Nate an email and he mentioned it to me. I was like...hmmmmm...I like the name Landon. Nate was like, "yeah...me too." So there you have it! Good thing Landon emailed us that day!
Hey Katie-
I actually went looking at everyones' blogs & looked at blogs of their friends, then their friends etc. to find baby names. I also started paying attention to movie credits and asked Anna all the names of kids in her class while name hunting. Brett thinks I'm lame, but I loved the nickname Izzy (yes, from Grey's Anatomy!), which is what we call our baby, I named her Elizabeth though because its timelessly classic.
When do you find out what you're having anyway?
-Wendy
Naming a person is kind of intimidating! That's what I think. You want to give them a good name, one that can grow with them. Mark and I only had two boy names that we liked. William (Will) and Charles (Charlie). And Charlie just kind of grew on us more and more...so that's what it became. (our birth mother wanted us to name the baby at about 4 months... which we probably wouldn't have done had we just had him (maybe waited until we saw him before we wrote it in stone) but that's what she needed...so we're just lucky we could come up with a name and that it turned out Charlie looked like a Charlie to us.
Your names are very cute. I hope it's a boy... to even things out over there!
Oops, Mark is Kate...
If it's a boy, definitely call him Landon and change his last name to Landonson. For a girl - Landona.
Post a Comment