*This is not for the feint of heart. If you are at all squeamish, proceed with caution. How is it that all 3 of my births were completely different? I thought I knew what I was getting myself into, but I never could have imagined the agony I would experience this time around. Like we always say, it's a good thing he's cute.
5:30 am- Arrive at hospital to learn that the doctor scheduled the induction at the wrong hospital. All the beds were full. Landon (a.k.a. my hero) stomps his feet and won't let them turn us away. I am near hysteria.
8:30 am- They finally relent, and make room for us. Thank you head nurse Kim.
9:00 am- Start pitocin
10:00 am- Doctor breaks my water and then jokingly tells me to not hurry too fast, he has an appointment at noon.
10:30 am- Insane pain, epidural time.
10:40 am- Oops, anesthesiologist is an idiot, had to do it over again.
10:45 am- 4 cm dilated. Epidural isn't working. They of course, don't believe me.
11:00 am- Landon and his mother leave for an early lunch.
11:20 am- Is the epidural EVER going to kick in?
11:22 am- I want to die.
11:30 am- I call my nurse, I can't breathe it hurts so much.
11:32 am- She checks me. I am fully dilated and the baby is crowning. I am all alone here.
11:35 am- Practice push, he is halfway out, where the he** is Landon?
11:40 am- No doctor, no Landon. Pain. Panic.
11:45 am- Landon walks in as I really start to push.
11:59 am- Out comes Reese. Like a cannon. Did I mention my children have HUGE heads? Birthed by nurse Nikki and about a dozen other nurses standing by. No doctor= no episiotomy. Not good.
12:15 - Doctor arrives to sew me up. Still no epidural. Worst pain in all my life. I will never sit again.
The good news is I am recovering fine. It hasn't been nearly as painful as I had anticipated. It of course helped that my amazing mother-in-law was here waiting on me hand and foot for the last week. I just love her. And my baby boy really is such a good sweet baby, I really can't complain. He hardly ever yells, unlike his very high maintenance big sister Lucy. Maybe that's why her birth was so easy. We are in baby heaven around here. Landon even thanked me for talking him into having this one. We already couldn't imagine life without him.
Sunday, August 31, 2008
The Birth Story
Posted by
Katie
at
6:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
First of all, you looked gorgeous in the pictures Landon posted right after the birth! Like a glowing new mother.
Second, Reese IS just DARLING! Beautiful. Oh I can almost just smell his new baby smell.
I am so sorry about your crazy birth experience! I would have been terrified. My husband was officially not allowed to leave my side during Avery's birth. I can't believe the nurses delivered him! That almost happened to me too, except they just made me stop pushing and let her hang out crowing in the birth canal for about 20 minutes while we waited for the doctor. But my epidural WAS working. SO SORRY!! But you are a champ!
I'm sure glad there are people in this world who can be so brave. I'm so proud of you, Katie... I don't think I could have survived such a crazy birth.
I read your experience out loud to Lilly. We are in shock, and somewhat feeling the pain over again just thinking about it. How horrible that the epidural wasn’t done right! We know how insanely intense the pain was after her water was broke and prior to the epidural kicking in. It hurts to imagine what you went through. Our boy had a 14 incher, now wonder he got stuck and Lilly had an episiotomy. We shudder to think…..anway. Glad that your recovery is going good!! Lilly’s favorite thing was that pain killer spray can.
Along the lines of your quiet kid….We had a new dog once. My neighbors were so excited that she never barked. She was so quiet. That is until our other older dogs taught the new dog how to bark.
(We have the same basinet border thingy)
Yeah, I wouldn't have let Landon leave only Lucy's induction took over 8 hours, I figured I had time.
That numbing spray is WONDERFUL. They sent me home with 2 bottles. With the tearing in places no woman should have to tear, I have needed them both! I definitely won't be even thinking about breaking that no sex for 6 weeks rule.
Oh.my.gosh. Katie, bless your heart, that is insane! He is so darling. And I'm so glad your mother-in-law has been there to help. That is the BEST.
Post a Comment